Friday, August 5, 2016

A day in Dunster

Apart from booking the flights, accommodation and car rental for this trip, nothing else was planned. After we settled in on our first night, Pete turned to me and said, "what are we going to do all week??" He must have been surprised that I hadn't planned out our days in advance as usually happens with our trips. We had a list of places to check out from my friend, a list of local events from the tourist office and an England guidebook that only had 3 pages on the region. Traveling now with two kiddos lends itself to total spontaneity and so far it is going great. No point in planning your day around a toddler nap that you expect to happen around noon when your toddler decides to pass out at 10am in the car. 

Yesterday's day of spontaneity led us to the village of Dunster where we did some shopping, found the local playground, stopped for lunch in a sunny garden, toured the castle and grounds, checked out the rocky beach and ended the day in Porlock Weir with pizza al fresco. We continue to be charmed by the local villages and amazed by the local scenery! 
Dunster


Cottages leading to the town playground


Grounds of Dunster Castle


Jude's best "moo" upon seeing a field of cows below


Dunster Castle 

I decided to quickly tour the castle while Maeve was sleeping and Jude was playing lawn games with Pete. I didn't have high expectations, but I ended up feeling like I stepped onto the set of Downton Abbey!

Painted leather panels- the castle's greatest treasure.
Dunster Beach

Very low tide


Porlock Weir. Ships at low tide. 




No comments:

Post a Comment