I woke up with Maeve at 4am (10pm EST). I came back to bed, ready to check my phone for an update, but Pete was already awake and told me that it was not looking good and that he wished he hadn't looked because he knew he wouldn't be able to go back to sleep. I slept fitfully from 4:30-6 and had nightmares about Trump being elected President. Only when I awoke at 6 and saw the news updates did I realize the nightmare is our new reality. I sat watching BBC live as the Presidency was called at 8:45am, in shock and in tears. Maeve was up from her nap and I walked her over to day care and sobbed to her nanny about the sadness of today.
It can not be a coincidence that today is 9/11/16 (the euro way), that a black cat we have never seen before ran across the street and into our home and that Pete broke two of our plates making breakfast. It is a dark day in history and I only pray that my worst fears about what a Trump Presidency means do not come to pass.
I am in need of a real hug from some fellow Americans this morning, but will settle for all of the "virtual" hugs in the form of others' shock, sadness and disbelief being expressed on facebook. At least all of my friends feel the way that I do today. And while you all have to live in a country with a President you are unhappy about, we will have to apologize again and again to all those we meet. It makes me shudder thinking about presenting our US Passports at border crossings and the open disdain people are going have for us. How long will it take until I am proud to be an American again??
Every fall in the Netherlands, there is a ceremonial "Prinsjesdag" or Budget Day. In addition to announcements on the changes in laws and budget, the King makes a speech. When I read it a few months ago, a section at the end really stuck with me and I wanted to share it with you (google translated, so not the best English).
"In the Netherlands, long fought for a number of democratic values, including the separation of church and state, freedom of expression and freedom of religion. In our country men and women are equal before the law and we make no distinction as to race, creed or sexual orientation. Anyone who wants to live in our country, should respect these values and comply. No one is asked to deny their own origin or culture, but the constitutionally defined standards can not be questioned and against intimidation and violence crackdown."
And yes, for those angry enough to considerate an exodus from the US, the Netherlands is an amazing place to live. I come across job openings daily from international companies with headquarters here. You can join the facebook group Amsterdam Business Mamas to see openings if you really want to contemplate a move.
Peace and Love to everyone today. This too shall pass.
No comments:
Post a Comment