This blog is about our expat life and raising our family here. We have had no regrets in our time here and really feel like this is where we are supposed to be for this chapter of our lives. There are times though, when things happen to shake our resolve. While in Portugal, we received the devastating news that Pete's dear cousin Emily passed away unexpectedly in Chicago. How we wished we were closer to family in that moment. We made the decision that while we both wanted to be there for the service this past weekend, Pete needed to be there so he left Portugal early on Friday morning and just returned home today. He was able to facetime me in to see relatives and to watch the service. Thank God for technology.
I have found myself at a loss for words. For her grieving family and for the blog. So I will borrow the words of Pete's aunt Jenny:
"Emily Durning:
Fierce, lovely, smart, passionate, an animal whisperer, a protector of children, a wonderful friend and big sister, a cracked-wide-open heart. She had aspirations to study neuroanatomy and wanted to be a doctor in Africa, saving lives. She wanted to save elephants and cheetahs. She wanted to make a difference in the world. That the world will not have her feels unjust, especially in light of how strongly she believed in justice. She did great things in this world and would have done so many more great things....that our world so desperately needs right now. Her spirit, her power, her empathy and compassion is obvious. Thank you for teaching me all of these things, Emma-Noodle. Emily Durning : Are you feeling the outpouring of love for you, beautiful one?"
Sharing fancy-free stories of us galavanting around Portugal seems trivial in times like these so I've stayed away. But I am certain that Emily, a fellow travel-lover, would want us to continue sharing our stories and our photos. We received the news while sitting on a sunny beach outside of Lisbon and I felt her there, in the gorgeous sunshine, watching us from above. We love you dear Emily. I hope to be as fearless as you one day.



I am so sorry for your loss.
ReplyDelete