Wednesday, February 20, 2019

Global Village Day 2019

Today was the best day all year at ISA, Global Village Day. A day to celebrate all of the cultures and nationalities at the school. Jude was sick last year and missed out and I didn't go in to see it his first year in the school, so it was really a first for 3 out of the 4 of us. The kids loved getting decked out this morning in their America gear and face paint. 





Not pictured, me, with a tear-smeared American flag on my cheek. As I watched the live stream of the assembly from the auditorium, I was overcome with emotion. As was my friend, though she had pregnancy hormones to blame. It was so beautiful to see children showing off their heritage through performances and a 420 student strong parade, which reminded me of the opening ceremonies of the Olympics. I just thought of all of us, so far from "home," yet together in this special place. When the Spanish speaking nations performed, I thought about my time spent living in Chile. And when the Irish girl did traditional dancing, I couldn't help but think of my original heritage. It is an incredible opportunity to live abroad and it has given us so much perspective.

Photo from Jude's teacher as he takes in the performances
Photo by Maeve's teacher of her taking in the performances. 
This seems as good a time as any to reflect on what it means to us to be Americans in 2019 living in the Netherlands. I was a bit reluctant to put the kids in American gear for the day. Of course that is our Nationality, but what do they know of being American and how proud are we of that heritage these days? Hasn't their whole life been spent in the Netherlands? But what do they know of being Dutch? They are "third culture kids" through and through and the potential implications of that weighs heavy on my heart. Will they, too, feel like they don't belong here? And that they also don't belong in America? And if so, where do they belong?? I tell people who ask that I can't imagine leaving the Netherlands, but I also can't imagine living here forever. A part of me wants to go back to a place where I feel like I "belong" and I want more than anything for our kids to have a strong sense of belonging.

Post-performance was spent preparing the USA "villages" with the other USA reps. Each elementary school grade visits 5 villages in the afternoon. These are hosted by all of the communities of the school and are meant to teach the children about things from other countries/cultures. I spent the afternoon with Kindergarteners who were making red, white and blue bead key chains, reading books about the USA, working on puzzles and coloring pictures of the Statue of Liberty and the American Flag. Oh, and feeding them Rice Krispie treats of course. The USA kids that came through were proud to be in their "village." And that pride definitely rubbed off on me.

Pete and I also got to join Jude for an international buffet in his classroom, supplied by the parents. Spanish arepas, Turkish phyllo wraps, Dutch poffertjes, American pigs in a blanket, PB&J and chocolate chip cookies, Portguese pastel de natas and chicken pies, Japanese sushi and chicken teriyaki skewers, among other treats that I couldn't identify!

As I road the metro home at the end of the long day, I didn't try to hide the smeared American flag on my cheek, but rather rode with my head held high!  #ProudtobeanAmerican #HopeThisFeelingLasts

No comments:

Post a Comment