Two dear friends (one high school, one college) live near each other in Colorado and I had the great fortune of getting to visit them both at the end of March. And the even greater fortune of having two other friends fly out to see us! One girl's trip is a dream come true, but two back-to-back was too almost good to be true.
The epic girls' trip was spent day drinking, eating, walking, talking, hiking, and shopping. All of my favorite things with some of my very favorite people. I arrived with a heavy heart from the situation in Ukraine and left feeling much lighter thanks to the love of my people.
I was so excited to see Gia's new house in Boulder and meet her fiance (!!), Michael, and the life they have built for themselves. I hadn't seen Gia since Christmas 2018! Amelia, who I hadn't seen since the summer of 2017, flew from Yakima, Washington for our mini Bowdoin reunion!
We started out our weekend together checking out the
Frozen Dead Man Days Festival in Nederland. Holy America. That was a lot to take in fresh off the plane from the old world! And yes, the festival is based on a man who is cryogenically frozen in a Tuff shed in this town.
 |
| We're not in Kansas anymore! |
 |
| The Hearse parade |
 |
| We missed the coffin races, opting for time at the local brewery instead. |
 |
| She dazzles! |
 |
| On our way to the Carousel of Happiness! |
 |
| Have you seen anyone happier to be on an ostrich?! |
 |
| Four Polar Bears |
 |
| Boulder Dushanbe Teahouse |
 |
| Chautauqua Park with the Flat Irons |
 |
| Flagstaff |
 |
| Hello Mountains! |

The second half of my trip was to see high school friend, Rachel, who had her 2020 wedding canceled due to COVID. She ended up having a small, immediate family-only wedding last year so I had never met her husband, Brandon! I couldn't wait! Aimee flew from Maryland to join in the fun!
I was picked up in Boulder and we continued driving to Rocky Mountain National Park. It had started snowing that morning and I was so excited, not having had any snow in Amsterdam all winter. The snow continued to lightly fall for our whole time in the mountains.
 |
| Checking out the Stanley Hotel |
 |
| Catching awkward gazes by the fire. |
 |
| The others didn't share my enthusiasm about the snow, but I didn't care. |
 |
| Elk spotting from our condo in Estes Park. |

 |
| Rocky Mountain National Park |
 |
| And continuing on to Nymph lake. I loved hiking in the peaceful snow. |
Back in Denver, we met a few of Rachel's friends for happy hour so I was nice and sauced when I got to meet Brandon. The rest of the trip was spent in Denver, eating, and shopping at Target. This is the first year I've had access to American candy for Easter and I may have gone a bit overboard.
 |
| Final dinner out with Rachel and Gia. |
 |
| Morning at the Denver Botanic Garden before my flight. |
Getting a solo week away felt like a big ask of Pete, who was sick while I was gone, but he managed beautifully. I'm hoping for more of this special girl time in the future! So good for the soul. Thank you to my gracious Colorado hosts and their partners for a great visit!
No comments:
Post a Comment