Monday, June 12, 2023

Jerez del la Frontera

We had a big day out in Jerez de la Frontera (a new town for me!). Jessica had booked us tickets for horse dancing at the Royal Equestrian School. I didn't even know horse dancing was a thing! 




Jumping, posing horses!

Doing wheelies




For lunch, we indulged in 16 courses at the Michelin-starred Mantuá. Very elegant, modern interior and excellent food and service! 


After lunch, we got a glimpse of some locals heading to the Feria, a world-renowned horse fair held annually in May. This year it was dedicated to stunning flamenco fashion.


Our after-lunch destination was Bodegas Tradicional, a historic winery specializing in Sherry. We walked along the prettiest little Jacaranda tree-lined street and found another stunning square lined with the purple beauties. 






Jessica booked us a private guided tour and tasting at the Bodega. We visited their archival room where they are sorting the winery's correspondence and orders dating back to the 1700s with the US! Then we saw the barrles and learned the process. 


They put this glass window in especially to see the Jacaranda trees (which bloom in Spring and Fall!) 


The Bodega has its own art gallery, which we got to enjoy while tasting our sherry. 



We had two hours post-winery and I was determined to see the Feria before we had to board our train back to Seville. Our attempts at taxies and ubers failed, but I hopped on a local bus marked "Feria" and hoped for the best. I'd describe the scene as Oktoberfest meets Flamenco. There were huge stalls (referred to as houses), which had bars, dance floors and open air terraces. And all were packed with revelers. At least 50% of the women were dressed in Flamenco to the nines. I just wandered around oogling at how beautiful they all were. 





I may have had to cut the taxi line to get back to the train station on time after the retun bus failed to materialize. I love the adrenaline a little adventrure adds to travel!

No comments:

Post a Comment