Thursday, August 20, 2015

SAIL-In Parade

I realize that it has been quiet on the blog front this month. That's because we have been very busy with changes and transitions over here. I'll have more to share about that early next week. One of those not wanting to jinx things before they happen situations! 

In the meantime, SAIL Amsterdam is taking place! It happens once every 5 years and kicked off yesterday with the SAIL-in parade. The boats, which were docked at the entrance to the North Sea, headed down the North Sea Canal and docked in Amsterdam over the course of the day. Knowing that the city would be mobbed, I followed the advice of one of my trusty local blogs and took off in the car to a small town, Ruigoord, from where I could apparently walk along quays to see the boats. So I arrive in Ruigoord and immediately feel uneasy. It is a community of artist squatters who I am sure would do me no harm, but I felt very strange wandering aimlessly around there looking for tall ships! So I hopped back in the car and followed the canals until I came across a boatload (pun intended) or cars and figured I must be at a good spot to watch the parade. Bingo. Lots of people along the banks of the water and bumper to bumper camper vans parked along the street.
Getting closer!
I was expecting to see lots of tall ships, but didn't realize how many other boats would be partaking in the parade. There was a serious traffic jam brewing! It was cool to see the boats go by, but a bit boring as you might imagine. So we all appreciated when the boats would sound their horns in call and response and when the adorable boat with the older gentlemen singing Dutch songs cruised by!





We plan to brave the crowds this weekend to see the boats more up close and personal in the city. Will report more if we see it!

No comments:

Post a Comment