Monday, June 25, 2018

School's Out For Summer

It was a busy end to the school year, as always. Wrapping things up with school and day care, the much anticipated visit of my aunt Margaret and cousin Claire and preparing for our vacation to Greece and then 5 weeks in the US. Phew, lots to catch up on!




I've already written about Jude's end of year, but here are some pics with his super sweet teachers who he adores. 
With Sue (South African) and Rosa (Peruvian)

Admiring all of Jude's artwork from the year. 
On the same day, Maeve had her last day at Kinderrijk, her day care since she was 5.5 months old. I felt that Maeve was safe and loved there, but I also was not sad that she was ending that chapter of her life. Perhaps because I never felt completely comfortable there myself, feeling badly that I couldn't speak Dutch to the workers and as a result, not being as assertive and involved as I would have been otherwise. Maeve only went two days a week so I didn't feel like we got to know any of the kids or other parents in the same way that we did at Jude's day care. And maybe also because Maeve isn't as verbal as Jude was so I couldn't learn from her what she really thought about "school." In any case, her teachers were sad to see her go saying how much they'll miss her, so that says something. For her part, Maeve seems a bit oblivious, though does get excited when we talk about her going to "Jude and Daddy's school" in the fall. Dutch kids stay in day care until they are 4 when they start school so Maeve's departure at 2 years is a big deviation.
With Maria ("ia") and Gwenda (both Dutch)

And a shout out to the hard working rocker on the right, finishing up his 13th year teaching! Summer time, baby!

No comments:

Post a Comment