Wheels and more wheels! We have all of our transportation needs covered! While I was in California, our bakfiets was delivered and we have been enjoying it every day since. To my non-expat friends who don't know what I'm referring to, a bakfiets is the dutch word for a cargo bike. They are everywhere here!
In our first few years in the Netherlands we didn't see the need for one since we were able to take the kids on our bikes. In May however, we began to anticipate Pete taking both kids to school and wondered how he would accomplish this by bike. There was an option to add an additional seat for Jude behind Pete's handlebars, while Maeve rode in the back, but we knew the kids' bags and Pete's work stuff wouldn't also fit. So we decided to take the plunge and started looking for second hand bikes. When a friend in the city posted her's, we jumped on it, knowing that it was coming from a good home :)
In case you are wondering, these things do not come cheap! Even second hand, we spent just under half of what we spent on our used car. Our total output was about 3600 euros, so I'll let you do the math with that!
Our new baby has two benches and three seat belts, though 4 kids could fit. For now, Jude and Maeve sit together, but we may separate them soon as Jude tends to fall asleep on the way home from school and when his head bobs and hits Maeve, she screams and pushes him :) It has a pivoting rain cover, which will be handy for the coming winter months. Pete installed a bike hook into the front of our house to deter thieves as these things tend to get stolen frequently. We'll also take out insurance on it, which will give me piece of mind.
![]() |
| The previous owner's final pic of their beloved bike. They are upgraded to an electric model. |
![]() |
| Pete ready for his daily commute. |
![]() |
| Finally witnessing goat yoga |
And no, I haven't yet ridden the bakfiets yet. I'm still pretty intimidated, but I'll practice soon enough!










No comments:
Post a Comment