Wednesday, December 5, 2018

Thanksgiving 2018

We enjoyed three Thanksgiving meals this holiday season! Gobble, cluck, gobble (one meal was with chickens ;)). 

The USA community hosted the Wednesday coffee morning at school the day before Thanksgiving, suppling a complete Thanksgiving feast for 300 teachers, staff and parents! We let a butcher handle the hard part, delivering 4 10-kg turkeys at 8am. A pre-recorded Macy's Day Parade was broadcast and guests were invited to add a note of thanks to the Thanksgiving tree. It was really nice and so yummy! 
Final preparations for the masses waiting outside! 
On Thanksgiving, we hosted the second annual Durney-Welter Thanksgiving with the aforementioned chickens. We didn't think it was possible to top last year, but the food was so lekker! It was parent teacher conference day for Pete and his last conference ended at 1:30 so he brought the kids home early and I really enjoyed being with my family as we waited for our guests to arrive.

Kitchen helper

Live streaming parade made me so happy! Technology is amazing. 


The Welters stayed overnight again this year and the adults enjoyed a game night when the kids were asleep. I had to take it easy though, because I had scheduled a job interview for the next day (black Friday, what was I thinking?!- Update to follow ;)).

On Saturday we were very happy to be invited to a Friendsgiving at the Nazlawy's. Apart from the turkeys, it was largely an "all plant" feast as some friends who were visiting from London are the creators of ww.allplants.com, a vegan ready-to-eat food delivery service (check them out UK friends!). I'm not going to lie, I was intimidated cooking for a vegan gathering, but making the mashed potatoes was as easy as substituting Alpro soy milk and soy butter and they tasted just the same! The other dishes were also very good, but I was still happy to have some turkey to round out the meal.

Kid's table- note the little feasting on cheese puffs- you do what you have to do. 
I hope that your Turkey day left both your bellies and your hearts full!

No comments:

Post a Comment