Well, the shoe dropped two weeks ago. We were in a great swing of things with my work being busier than ever and the kids thriving in school. We were still in a partial lockdown, so there wasn't much socializing going on and nowhere to meet up indoors, but at this time of year, I am content to stay home so I wasn't bothered. Then Pete came home from school feeling extra tired and by the following day (thankfully a remote in-service day), he felt achy and his head hurt. We went online and made him an appointment for testing the next morning, just out of caution, not really thinking he had COVID. I figured he'd get his negative results, get over his cold and life would go back to normal. Think again. His worse night was the evening while he was awaiting test results. He had fevers and chills and went to bed early, just before his results were emailed to him. I woke up in the middle of the night to Pete telling me he tested positive. So I got out of bed and curled up at the end of Jude's bed for the night, but couldn't sleep, my mind consumed by anxieties (which unfortunately hasn't really abated since then). The next day was spent communicating the results to everyone who needed to know and having conversations with the dutch health authorities and the school nurse. I knew from friends who have been exposed that the home quarantine time in the NL is 10 days. So I did the math and came to terms with the kids being home for a week. Then Pete shared that for the kids and I, the 10 day quarantine starts after our "last contact" with the positive person. So essentially from the day that Pete would recover. That was a blow. 17 days confined to our house and postage stamp garden with no possibilities to go for walks. I set myself up to sleep and work in the guest room and Pete began donning a mask around the house and keeping his distance from us. But it wasn't possible for him to completely isolate as I needed help parenting while I worked.
Firstly, we are very THANKFUL that Pete recovered in about a week and that the disease didn't go to his lungs. He still has "foggy head," some fatigue, and loss of taste and smell. We understand these symptoms can take a long time to get over.
We are THANKFUL that the kids and I didn't get it. This is a bizarre virus. Early on I was convinced I must have it. I was sharing a bed with Pete when he was his most contagious after all. When I had a very slight runny nose after a few days, I went for testing and to my surprise I was negative. I felt some disappointment wishing that I was going to be one of the lucky asymptomatic people and still get the immunity from it. I had a period of feeling pretty positive that the kids and I would be fine and then the anxiety crept back in. And now I'm back to some restless nights, fearful that I will start with symptoms and have to reset our quarantine. The Dutch health authorities called today to tell us our quarantine is over, but we're waiting until Monday to see anyone and send the kids and Pete back to school.
We received an outpouring of support and love from our community here. I was so emotional those first few days and kept thinking of the final scene of "It's a Wonderful Life" where all of George Bailey's friends show up for him in his time of need. THANK YOU so much for the deliveries of food, vitamins, booze, toys, and friendly faces through the big glass window (Sharon, Alya, Katie, Rachel, Lien, Sara, Sylvie, and Bobbie) and for all of the supportive messages and check-ins from everyone else! The school librarians even selected and dropped off books for the kids! Jude's teacher sent a care package and Maeve's teacher stopped by to drop off pictures her friends had made for her. We are THANKFUL!
We knew that schools opening would pose a threat to Pete especially working with older students. And indeed, we think he contracted COVID from a student. More than ever, we and everyone else should be THANKFUL for teachers. The kids were switched over to distance learning (which had been ongoing for kids who couldn't return to school for a variety of reasons). I was dreading this and am definitely over it and feel BIG time for everyone back home dealing with this on a long term basis. However, it went much better than it did in the Spring. Especially for Maeve who has been really engaged with her check-ins with her class and just generally really happy at home. I don't know if it is because she is able to zoom in with her class while they are in school, or if it is my improved mental health (there's a light at the end of a 2 week home confinement that we didn't have back in March when everything shut down) or maybe it is just that she is 6 months older and maturer. Either way, I am THANKFUL for that! Jude has needed a fair amount of nagging to complete his daily assignments, especially when he sees his sister just getting to play all day. His distance learning program is really great though and it gives us a glimpse of the learning he is doing at school. THANK you to all of the distance learning teachers out there. This is not easy and you rock!
In these uncertain times, we really have a lot to be thankful for even though the last 2 weeks have been tough. We are so THANKFUL that our families and friends back home have been responsible and safe. We pray that you stay that way. We miss you!
We had a low-key Thanksgiving with virtual school, a catered Turkey dinner, and a big Durning family zoom call with a special Birthday video for Opa, who turns 70 today! A special day indeed. We can't wait to see you soon!
 |
So much screen time these past two weeks!
|
 |
Art class
|
 |
Decked the halls very early! Nothing else to do!
|
 |
And early cookie making and decorating
|
 |
| My profession's annual conference went virtual this year obviously, so I was actually able to attend for the first time in 6 years! It went from 4pm-12am 4 nights in the middle of our quarantine. Not the best timing, but good to have some "me" time. (dinner- homemade chicken soup delivered by Sara and whatever we could find in our freezer) |
 |
Maeve and mommy
|
 |
Making pumpkin bread. Our only Thanksgiving day cooking
|
 |
Gobble gobble
|
 |
| A beautiful tribute video for Opa! Enjoyed by all. |
No comments:
Post a Comment