There was so much up in the air that it was very difficult to figure out our return plans. While we were in Florida, The Netherlands announced a countrywide lockdown beginning on December 15th. Restaurants and bars had already been closed, but now schools and all non-essential stores were closed as well. Schools were scheduled to be closed until January 18th so we considered staying longer, not thrilled to return to a lockdown. Then Pete found out that seniors were exempt from the lockdown so he would need to return to teach in person on the 5th (boo), but that ISA was going to stay open for emergency care for teacher's kids (YAY!). I still wasn't mentally prepared to leave Florida yet. The ultimate deciding factor was the ability to transfer my flight with the kids to a new pilot "COVID tested" flight with Delta/KLM. We would get tested 5 days before departure, do a rapid test in Atlanta before boarding, and a final PCR test at Schiphol. If all tests came back negative, we would be exempt from the 10-day quarantine when we returned home. I was not looking forward to being stuck indoors in the dead of winter for 10 days with the kids so I made the decision to come home on the 30th, giving the kids and me 4 more days with my parents. I was already scheduled to work that week, thinking we'd be back home, but it worked out well to work normal US hours while my parents watched the kids. I wasn't looking forward to doing the long travel again on my own, especially with a red-eye, but figured if Pete returned home before us, he could get over jetlag to help me when we got back.
Having made the decision, the kids and I got enjoy a few more days in the sun. A big highlight was driving to see the manatees, who come into the canals in my parents' neighborhood when it gets cold. I also tracked down rocket popsicles, helped finish a puzzle and made a last minute Amazon Fresh order of my favorite cheese from California, which I brought back to Amsterdam (shh, don't tell the border agents!). Less fun tasks were figuring out how to get everything home on my own (I usually leave the tricky packing up to Pete) and dealing with some drama surrounding my profession certification renewal.
It is easy to say in retrospect that we were so glad we made the trip, given that no one got sick. Of course it could have gone another way. It doesn't look like borders are opening up anytime soon and this was the only way we were going to get to see the grandparents. So we are glad that we seized the opportunity and had a safe, memorable trip. Now we wait to see how things look for our hopeful summer trip home...















No comments:
Post a Comment