2021. It finally arrived. There was so much hope wrapped up in 2020 coming to a close and while there does seem to be a light at the end of the tunnel now, January was filled with mixed emotions returning home to a locked-down Netherlands.
The kids and I arrived home in the afternoon of December 31st. I thought with jetlag they might make it to midnight, but crashed around 11. The Netherlands instituted a fireworks ban, which I was thrilled about, but lo and behold, tons of neighbors still set them off (though thankfully for a shorter period of time and it was a clear night so we could actually enjoy the shows from our bedroom windows).
![]() |
| New Year's Eve Celebrations |
![]() |
| So much togetherness in 2020. Love this crew! |

We were beyond fortunate in January that while schools were closed, ISA remained open for teacher's and other essential worker's kids. Pete was back teaching Seniors in person right away as they were exempt from the lockdown, so it was a Godsend. We had to wait 10 days after we returned home so the kids did distance learning with their classmates the first week and then went into school with a few other kids from their grades for the remainder of the lockdown. I took advantage of my free time and worked as much as I could.
I had my first lockdown birthday, something that I never thought would happen. It started with receiving the best card in bed.
Pete bought me a fondue pot and we had a lekker dinner! But the best birthday present of all was that my parents received their first dose of the Pfizer COVID vaccine on my birthday! Sweet relief and gratitude for SCIENTISTS!

Despite the national lockdown, COVID cases were not going down so the government took further action in mid-January, extending the school closures to February 8th, allowing only 1 visitor per day, and implementing a national curfew (9pm-4:30am) for the first time since WWII. To be fair, with nothing open we had nowhere to be at night anyway so the curfew hasn't really affected us. It was a depressing announcement though and it was starting to be apparent that 2021 was going to be a lot like 2020.
One last hurrah the night the curfew took effect. I joined some friends who booked themselves into a hotel for the night. We ordered takeaway from the hotel restaurant and I set a timer on my phone so that I would leave in time to get home before 9. So many bikers with me furiously racing home that evening. It was very surreal. (Curfew fine is 95 euros).
Had to find any excuse to celebrate and keep things light this month. National Tulip Day!
![]() |
| Pete did a grocery run with the sled |
And if the snow wasn't exciting enough, later that week, Biden was inaugurated. Oh happy, happy day! The joy I felt watching these two leave on Air Force One was and is indescribable.
![]() |
| The kids' favorite thing to do after bathtime- family snuggles and hiding in our bed :) |
One month down, how many COVID-affected months to go??!

























No comments:
Post a Comment