Wednesday, February 11, 2026

Amelia's Christmastime Visit

Back home from Finland, I put in a few days work and then Amelia came to visit with her boyfriend, Aaron. They were spending Christmas in Paris with Amelia's dad and took the train to see us for a few days!

It had been a while since I'd had a friend come to visit, so I had fun planning our itinerary. Aaron owns goats out in Yakima so a visit to the bos was in order. First, lunch at the pancake house and then a stop to see the goat farm. He really is a goat whisperer! 



We ordered in Indonesian food for dinner and had a night in. On Saturday, we took the tram into de Pijp to visit the Albert Cuypmarkt and have lunch at the Kaasbar. Santa was visiting the market as well! 


A conveyor belt of cheese with pairings at this cozy spot. We were seated at a snug table and opted for a cheeseboard. 


Pete headed home to the kids, while I joined Amelia and Aaron at Van Gogh. I saw the special exhibit on Van Gogh and the Roulins- the family in France who he was close with in the period leading up to his death. While they toured the rest of the museum, I did some Christmas shopping at the museum shop and then went next door to the Stedlijk museum to see the Erwin Olaf photography exhibit. It was very popular and provocative! 



From Museumplein, we passed under the Rijksmuseum and walked through the city center, stopping for a cocktail at Bar Feijoa and then dinner at Cafe de Jaren before taking in the busy night scene of the red light district. Been ages since I've seen that scene! 

Amsterdam is beautiful, but I also like visitors to see the charming smaller Dutch towns/cities. As luck would have it, Leiden was having their Christmas market during Amelia's visit so we packed in the car and drove to see it. 


We got an assortment of yummy Christmas market food and some gluhwein. There was a choir singing, the sun was shining, and Santa was giving out candy. Happiness all around. 


Will pose with Santa for candy









 So nice to meet Aaron and share our adopted home with them! So much Christmas cheer this year! 

No comments:

Post a Comment