We returned to snow in Amsterdam! We were really grateful to return without a huge delay. Lots of friends had flights cancelled over the coming days due to the storm. The kids were eager to play and made a snowman with our neighbors that evening.
The next day was an inservice day and we watched as the snow was coming down hard. The teachers were dismissed at noon and word spread that the kids first day back from Winter break would be a snow day. They were thrilled!

Maeve and Lucia made a rainbow cake! Nana and Pops got lucky and their flight made it out despite all of the inter-Europe cancellations!
![]() |
| It kept coming! And the kids got another snow day! |
On Friday evening, I was ready to get out of the house! I had booked tickets to Tick Tick Boom at our local theater with a group of mom friends months earlier. The show was on and we all dressed theater/snow chic with dinner at our ramen place and then a walk through the snow to the theater.
![]() |
| Early birthday dinner in the city with Pete at Renato Osteria |
A full day of birthday celebrations starting with brunch with the RHOA crew in the city. It was Sharon's birthday the week before so we had a shared celebration.
Then I took myself shopping at TK Maxx :)
Back at home, we had thai food and cake celebrations with the kids. 43!
![]() |
| Neighborhood sheep on a walk with Laura |
A night out at Neni to celebrate Sharon's birthday.
On Sunday night, I went for one final dopamine hit and checked instagram just before bed. Thank goodness I did! A local teacher had posted photos of the Northern Lights over Amsterdam 15 seconds before I looked at her story. I bolted out of bed and stared in awe at the scene from our windows. Pete and the kids were long asleep and I agonized over whether to wake them to see it. Pete had slept terribly with our big night out Saturday night so I let him sleep and he told me that was the right decision. I was bummed we didn't get to see Northern Light in Lapland due to the cloud cover so was so happy to see them from home!
On January 20th there was a small protest on Musemuplein in solidarity with the national Walk Out day in America. Kristen invited me and I didn't have any work scheduled so I made a sign, found our American flag and headed downtown. It felt good to do something and be with like minded people. There were a lot of press there and I made it into a local newspaper.
Cozy winter nights at home. Catchphrase is a big hit.
Pete's childhood friend, Nathan, came through town with his wife who was meeting with her Dutch publishers ahead of her next book release (Under Story). Enjoyed getting to know them over an Indonesian feast at Sama Sebo. To end the month, we went to the ISA staff party at The Chupitos Club. It is owned by the partner of someone who works at the school and a former student was waitressing. The saxophone player who accompanied the DJ was extra!

















































No comments:
Post a Comment