Wednesday, November 26, 2014

Jude's First Illness

Despite all of the negative things that I've read from other expats about the health care system in the Netherlands, I was willing to give it the benefit of the doubt. The system is constantly being slammed on Amsterdam Mamas Facebook feed and I mostly ignore the comments, not wanting that negativity to impact our time here. Well, unfortunately I have my own negative story to add to the mix.

On Sunday evening Jude developed a high fever and we gave him baby Tylenol. Monday morning I noted a red rash around his mouth and hands. A local mama friends' babies had had hand mouth and mouth disease so I thought maybe Jude had the same. I called our family doctor and the assistant answered the phone and told me to just give Tylenol as needed and to call in 3 days if the he still had a fever or had gotten worse. Well over the past two days, the rash has spread, his fever has been up and down and he has had bouts of inconsolable/un-nursable screaming fits during the night and during the day. So I called again and spoke again to the assistant on the phone. I filled her in on what was going on and she replied, "he has the chicken pox." "You can't diagnose chicken pox over the phone," I firmly responded. "Why not?""Because what if it is something else, like hand foot mouth disease." "Oh for that, you need sores in the mouth." "Well, you haven't looked in his mouth and he is refusing to nurse so I think there must be sores there. Can the doctor see him?" "Yes, you can bring him in."

15 minutes later I'm in the doctor's office and the assistant shows me to an exam room and asks me to undress Jude. She declares that he has chicken pox and goes into what I can do to treat it, how long it will last, etc. I again ask her to explain how what he has is different from hand foot mouth disease. I knew from a previous visit that she was not one of the two doctors in the practice. I ask her if we are going to see the doctor. "That isn't necessary," she replied while glaring at me. I again bring up his pain when nursing and she says he probably has sores in his mouth. "Well, can you look, " I ask. "That isn't necessary," she replied while glaring at me again. "Um, ok."

I returned home, skin foam in hand from the neighboring pharmacy, treated the sores and put Jude to bed. Then I had a good cry and was very thankful to have Gia here for moral support! Please send prayers for a speedy recovery and minimal pain.
Chicken Pox? Oh, I thought you said Baby in a Box!

No comments:

Post a Comment