Thursday, March 5, 2015

Resort Life: I could get used to this!

Staying one week in the same location is not the way Pete and I are used to traveling. In the past, I would read the guidebook for our intended destination and get so excited about all of the places to visit that I couldn't narrow them down. Our epic Europe trip in the summer of 2013 had us staying at 10 different places in 16 days (yikes!). Of course, this type of travel doesn't work well with babies who crave consistency. After our week in Spain at the Marriott, I think I have become a convert. 


Resort life has a lot of pros, especially for families with babies/children. There was a designated baby play room complete with toys he was familiar with, a ball pit and slide. There was a family indoor pool and even a baby "hot tub" with bath warm water and a very shallow depth. The proximity to the beach was perfect so we didn't have to get in the car and drive anywhere. And having restaurants on site made it possible for Pete and I to go downstairs and have dinners together with the baby monitor a few of the nights. 






The resort also hosted many on-site events. We attended a lecture and tasting on Andalusia wines one evening. It was run by the owner of an upscale olive oil and wine store in Marbella. We thoroughly enjoyed the wines. The only other participants were two mom friends on holiday and self-proclaimed light weights. So there was a LOT of wine for Pete and I to drink. Then we got to take all 4 bottles of leftover wine home with us! The lecturer shared that he was an olive oil sommelier. We didn't even know that that existed! Two nights later, he returned to the resort to give another lecture and tasting of local olive oil, so we had to go to learn from a master! It was super interesting and we both learned a lot. 


Anyone who has had children knows that vacations are not the same once kids are in tow. I really expected that any idea of a "relaxing" vacation was out the window for at least the next 10 years. This trip proved me wrong! Pete and I took turns playing with Jude so the other could have time to their selves. I relished laying in the sun, reading a book, attending a daiquiri making class and sitting in the hot tubs. During the week, by myself! A stay at home mom's dream come true! 

Love you, boys, but it's time for some "me" time!

Being on the coast in February allowed for viewings of both the sun rises and sun sets over the ocean (and Africa!). Did I mention how cool it was to see Africa from the beach!? So cool! I would have preferred to not have been up in time to see the sun rise, but loved walking down to the beach one morning to snap some photos.
Sunrise over Africa!

The remainder of photos in this post are of sunsets, which I adore! If that's not your thing, feel free to stop looking :) 
Sunset viewing from the beach
Sunset over Africa!


Another night's sunset over Gibraltar and Africa
Sunset on our final night 
As seen from dinner...
With Sangria 
Glorious!

No comments:

Post a Comment