Monday, January 4, 2016

Back in the Bike Saddle Again

After a wonderful 2+ weeks home in the states (posts to follow) we are back in Amsterdam and back to our old routines with some serious jetlag thrown in. How odd it felt to plop Jude on the bike and take him to day care this morning after spending so much time with him at home. We were both understandably sad. The cold, grey weather after a week in the Miami sunshine did not help.

We survived the journey home at least. Yes, survival is what transatlantic red-eyes with a toddler while pregnant with a stomach bug is what I am referring to it as these days. 8.5 hour flight to Dusseldorf with Jude sleeping across my protruding belly, 2 hour wait at the airport, and then a 2 hour train ride to Amsterdam. I reserved a family compartment on the train so we had peace and quiet to sleep. I woke to a fellow passenger tapping on our glass door saying, "this is Amsterdam. Time to get off." We were home.

Emerging from Central Station and seeing the canal houses, Christmas lights and throngs of tourists was very surreal. Or maybe it was the sleep deprivation. In any case, Pete and I looked at each other and were like, "this is weird." I suppose it will always feel that way to come back to a foreign land that you call home. We are looking forward to getting sleep, seeing friends, planning travel for 2016 and settling back into our regular lives. 2016 is going to bring wonderful things and we are ready to start celebrating!

No comments:

Post a Comment