There are many things that I love about living in the Netherlands, and yes, receiving unexpected speeding tickets in the mail is one of them. Perhaps I need to explain. Along the highways in The Netherlands, you do not see patrol cars, hiding secretly behind some bushes, with a person paid for with tax paying dollars aiming a speeding gun at you. No, The Netherlands is a highly efficient country and here, highways have built in speeding checks. You drive along and pass under structures which clock your time. If you get to the next time checking structure (clearly my highway vocab is limited!) too soon, it will be known that you had to speed to get there that quickly and you will automatically be sent a ticket in the mail. Below is the one we received yesterday. For driving somewhere between 6-9 km/h (~3-6 mp/h) over the 80km/h limit. The speed limit on the highways is usually between 100-130 km/h (this is not Germany with the autobahn), but if there is bad weather or traffic, the speed limit is lowered and clearly posted on large signage along the highway. The sections of highway which check your speed are clearly marked so it always amazes me to see people blowing through these areas. I suppose they aren't concerned with paying tickets.
Why do I love this?! Because it is fair. Do a crime, serve the time, or whatever that expression may be. Also because it keeps the roads safe. The Netherlands consistently ranks as one of the best countries to drive in. In part because of what I feel is very safe driving. The roads are also a dream. Though I suppose any road way that is not the Brooklyn-Queens-Expressway would seem like a dream.
What do you think? Would you be happy or upset to see this system on your road ways? Or maybe it is already in place!

Yes! and what a generous response from you. Just wondering, was it your first response to "love it"?
ReplyDeleteThe first time we got one of these, I will admit I did not love it! But now that we know the system, I was happy to pay it. It helped that I was not the one behind the wheel so I didn't feel guilty :)
ReplyDelete