When Jude
stopped attending Montessori classes, it hit me really hard because the program had been such a big part of his life. When Maeve stopped attending classes in July it hit me even harder because the program had been become such a big part of MY life. My Amsterdam identity has been tied to being a mostly stay at home mom and the highs and lows that come with that life choice. And what got me through the past 4 years was having activities to attend, play dates and friends in the same boat. Nearly every Thursday morning for close to 4 years, I was at
Jacaranda Tree with Simone and an ebbing and flowing group of parents and babies/toddlers who became friends.
Here's a look at Maeve through her Montessori time. Cue the mommy tears!
 |
| One of first classes at 8 months old. Those cheeks and necks! Miss them! |
 |
| The bam bam pony :) |
 |
| Lanterns made for Saint Martin |
 |
| "Come and make a circle" |
 |
| Maeve could most often be found in the snack corner :) |
 |
| I learned a lot of Dutch through songs and books |
 |
| I loved passing this roundabout every February on my way to class to see the crocuses in bloom |
 |
| So great when snack time became more communal! And super cute, too. |
 |
| Maeve loved to help make the crackers |
A few photos from Maeve's last class, which our whole family attended as a last hurrah!
I first joined the parent-baby montessori playgroup with Jude as a way to meet people when we were new to Amsterdam. I had no idea then how much that choice would influence my parenting and as a result, our family and life. Everything I have learned over the years from Simone has helped make me a more patient, empathetic, and observant parent. Being a toddler is hard! Anything we can do to help them make sense of their world and become independent in their environment will pay dividends! We are not hard core montessori parents, I think of myself more as a fair-weather follower of the principals.
The biggest compliments I have received in the past 4 years are related to my parenting skills (which are still a work in progress like everyone else!). So I want to give Simone a huge shout out for her incredible work. Are you thinking, "Gosh, I wish I lived in Amsterdam so I could meet Simone and be influenced by her wisdom?" Well, you are certainly in luck as she published a beautiful book last year through a kickstarter campaign:
The Montessori Toddler. And no, I am not turning my blog into a profit-maker by advertising. I just want to share this with all of my parent (or even grandparent, auntie/uncle) friends! You will thank me!
You can get a copy here: https://www.kickstarter.com/projects/simonedavies/the-montessori-toddler-by-simone-davies
 |
| At the book launch party this past winter (this post is a long time coming!) |
We will all certainly miss "Mone's class," perhaps me the most! Thank you Simone for taking us on this wonderful ride.
What a beautiful trip down memory lane. An awesome time it has been! Thank you so much for adding to the richness of the class and the laughs. Lucky I'll keep seeing you at book club from time to time. Hugs to you all. X
ReplyDelete