During the winter, I felt convinced that by the long Ascension weekend in May, we would be able to go abroad. So I put off booking anything in the hopes that would be true. As the weekend approached, even though we couldn't leave the NL, I was still itching to get away. I had my heart set on a beach trip, but last-minute options were very limited. On Booking, I found 2 available glamping tents an hour north and convinced Alya and Amine to join with the kids (or as they tell it, "Erin said to book it. So we booked it." ;)).
Petten looked tiny on the map so I wasn't expecting much of the area apart from the beach. Then we discovered that it is in one of the NL's largest tulip bulb growing areas so I couldn't wait to see it!
Our first and last days were the nicest, so we took off early and spent the day at the beach with the Nazlawys who drove up to meet us. Lots of fun in the sand!

Alya and family joined us by late afternoon and we left the beach to check into our tent. One of the two that was available only slept 4 so this was the one our family booked. It was basic, but brand new. I had worried all week about the temperature and it did get quite cold at night. There was electricity, but not enough to power a space heater we thought to bring. We had lots of duvets and our sleeping bags so we were comfortable the first night. Alya's family booked the luxury tent that slept 7 and had a private bathroom, heating, and more room inside. They invited our kids to sleep over the other two nights, which they happily did. Then the adults were able to hang out together in their warm tent after the kids went to sleep.

![]() |
| Two separate sleeping nooks, mini fridge, stovetop, indoor picnic table. Very cozy. |
![]() |
| The colors were so vibrant! |

Saturday was Maeve's 5th birthday (separate post to follow)! Pete made french toast for everyone for breakfast, then Maeve opened her presents and the kids spent the morning playing before we walked into town for lunch on the tiny town square. In the afternoon, we decorated and ate cupcakes and headed to the beach to play with her new sand toys and kite.

![]() |
| Art installation of trash found at the beach. |

















































No comments:
Post a Comment