Thursday, November 11, 2021

Salzburg Zoo and Schloss Hellbrunn

Day 2: We had our first of 6 breakfast buffets, which may have been one of the kids' favorite things of the whole trip (that and the swimming pool/hot tub that they went to every day to play with some German kids they befriended). Then we headed towards Salzburg to go to the zoo and see the Hellbrunn castle. 

Another beautiful day! We did that drive through the valley a lot that week and it never got old! 

I had looked up where the Sound of Music sights were in the city and learned that the 16 going on 17 gazebo is in the public park of the castle and I had to see it! The zoo highlights were the bear and fox who cohabitated and the lions, who were active right in front of the glass partition. From the zoo, we found the large playground by the castle and I took the opportunity to climb to the top of a mountain behind the zoo to get the birds-eye view of the castle with Salzburg (and the impressive Hohensalzburg Fortress). A pick me up at the castle cafe before heading home to give the kids time in the pool before dinner. 

This day had me reminiscing about bringing baby Jude to the Schonbrunn Palace and Imperial Zoo outside of Vienna when he was just 9 months old. Pete was attending a conference and Jude and I bummed all around the city together. Where does the time go? 

I was psyched there was a spa and set off for the sauna. I saw the "no swimsuits" sign and thought, ok I can do this. I was not prepared for the sauna to already be occupied by a naked older man. Wrapped tight in my towel, I averted my eyes and laid down in the back, at which point the man started to talk to me in German! Nein! When another older naked man came in and started conversing with the 1st, my zen moment was definitely over and I got out of there! 



Fox and bear







Hohensalzburg Fortress





"7 going on 8!"


We needed to show our vaccination status (QR code) everywhere, even for outdoor terraces. And masks were required most indoor places as well. 


Be a unicorn

Doing half-board at the hotel made life really simple and the kids were spoiled

No comments:

Post a Comment