After our day in Bruges, Gia, Jude and I drove to Brussels and Pete took the train from Amsterdam after work. We had one day to spend in Brussels with a simple agenda- eat good food and drink good beer. Our Rick Steves guidebook mentioned a fishing village-esque neighborhood of Brussels that I thought would be fun to check out on our way downtown. As we passed the church flanking the neighborhood we saw the most amazing Christmas market set up in the square complete with Ferris Wheel. It was early on opening day so the vendors were just setting up. We passed the time in a cafe savoring coffee and chocolates and then had some real fun at the market.
 |
| This moose head moved, talked and sang Christmas carols! Can I get one for our apartment?? |
 |
| We decided to ride the ferris wheel. A great way to see views of the city without climbing narrow stairways!! |
 |
| Up, Up and Away |
We made our way into the center of Brussels while Jude snoozed in the stroller. I didn't have any clue what we would come upon as we reached the Grand Place and was so blown away by the beauty that I teared up (and was instantly made fun of by Gia and Pete!). The gilded buildings were a sight to see! And every street surrounding the square was filled to the brim with Christmas market stalls and tons of people! Definitely put us in the Christmas spirit!
 |
| Gorgeous, no?! |
The one place that Gia and Pete wanted to get to in Brussels was Cantillon, a lambic brewery that specializes in sour beers made with open fermentation (ie. no added yeast- the yeast comes from the open air). BTW- I just dictated that sentence from Pete. I am not that versed in brew talk! The two beer geeks went on the tour while I entertained Jude.
 |
| Open fermentation |
 |
| Just a baby on a beer barrel |
 |
| Rose de Gambrinas (Raspberry) Lambic Beer |
Apart from the ferris wheel ride, my highlight of the day came from the main shopping street where a Salvation Army brass band was serenading shoppers with christmas carols.
Gia and I made one final stop at a small traditional Belgian beer bar, but were unimpressed by the beers though the interior was charming. After returning home to put Jude to bed, Gia and I went out for a final meal together- Mussels and fries! It was a wonderful trip with a dear friend!
No comments:
Post a Comment