I had been looking forward to our trip home for the holidays for a long long time. Our first leg was to fly to my parents' house in Miami for a few days before driving north for my sister's baby shower in Winter Park. I had envisioned long stroller walks in shorts and t-shirts through my parents' leafy neighborhood, Jude's first dip in my parents' pool (which they designed close to 9 years ago with a shallow entrance they specifically dubbed "the baby pool" - subtle hinting!), and maybe a trip to the beach. What I hadn't anticipated was the toll the 10+ hour flight would take on all of us. Of those 10+ long hours, Jude slept 45 minutes, I slept 20 and Pete slept 0. Not that Jude wasn't adorable on the flight. Calling out to passersby and giving his new wave (one arm extended out in front of him). He really fell for a Czech baby 2 days younger than him whose hand he reached out and grabbed as she made her way to the bathroom. When the mother came down the aisle towards the end of the flight without the baby I jokingly asked where Jude's girlfriend was. She replied that her baby had slept all but 20 minutes of the flight...sigh! When we finally cleared immigration and customs, to say we were haggard was an understatement. My mom sent my sister an oh so flattering photo of us just landed and her reply "looks like they could use some relaxation!".
Jude's cold that he had in Germany had progressed into a barking cough, Pete's sore throat from Cologne turned into a full on head cold and within a day I was also sick as a dog. We managed a few outings while home, but after an hour in the sun my head would feel like it was splitting in two, my throat about to catch fire. So then we would retreat home and nap while my mom worked double time watching Jude and prepping for my sister's shower. Here's to healthy Durneys in time for Christmas!
I made sure to extra document the good times we had. We made it to the Fairchild Tropical Gardens where they had a new Chihuly exhibit. The butterfly hall was a real hit!
The ribbons remind me...at 13 months, surrounded by new toys, toys, toys, Holm's favorite thing was the nut bowl on my parents' coffee table. Gi figure. Say hello to the Durnings for us, and Merry Christmas to you all!
ReplyDelete