![]() |
| Jude visiting Sinterklass at the mall on November 30th. Much more interested in the lady flirting with him. |
The Dutch wait until after Sinterklaas to buy their Christmas trees (December 6th). Since we are leaving our apartment on Monday to head to Germany and then home, we wanted to enjoy a tree for longer than 9 days. Our Dutch neighbor tipped me off to the local home and garden store selling trees starting at the end of November. We borrowed her car and went after work to pick one out. We were the only people shopping for a Christmas tree and had our pick! There were traditional, large trees with cut bases, but there were an equal number of smaller, potted trees. We opted for one of these. I've been told that they can be replanted at the end of the season. I love the idea, but we'll have to look into donating it for this purpose as we don't have a yard.
I have seen trees set up in restaurants and other's homes and must say that many look very Charlie Brown! Strange, sparse upper limbs. Must be the variety that is popular here!
Cousin Jessie came over to help decorate the tree. I had to leave my beloved ornament collection back at home, but have gotten a few already from our time here (Amsterdam, Bruges and Scotland ornaments to add to the collection). And Nana sent my favorite ornament of all- Baby's first Christmas!
Christmas lights
NYC has its fair share of beautiful Christmas lights and decorations, but there is something really special about all of the lights hanging in the quaint streets of Amsterdam. Each shopping area has its own unique set of lights and they are quite extravagant (hanging chandeliers in some!).
Christmas cheer
Back home, I would try to do at least one cultural Christmas event every season (Nutcracker, Messiah sing-a-long, Christmas concert). The Royal Concertegbrouw Orchestra had a number of concerts for the season and we chose the Jazz concert. I shouldn't have been surprised that the entire group of 20+ members were all white men. The conductor however, was an African-American man and the special guest was a cheese ball of an American male jazz singer. We weren't sure what music we would hear at a Dutch "Christmas Concert," but it was all the hits that we know and love. When the trombones hit their notes on "Hark! The Herald Angels Sing" I got teary-eyed on cue!
![]() |
| Red and Green Canal House Boats |
![]() |
| Red and Green Cars |
While we will wait for our time in Germany to properly do the Christmas markets, I have seen a few set up around town selling goods from all over Europe. It reminds me of the scene from Love Actually where Jamie returns from France with French food items for his family. As charming as this idea is, bringing much home in addition to our luggage and the baby is not really an option. The cheese and sausage stalls are particularly enticing!
![]() |
| Rembrandtplein Christmas Market |
Christmas baby
Jude at 8 months, chicken pox and all. He fared pretty well and the biggest/nastiest scab marks are on the back of his legs. I would say that he is in the clear of showing off that skin for a while, but we'll be in Miami in less than a week and the pool awaits!!









No comments:
Post a Comment