Earlier this week, Jude and I traveled to London to see friend
Sarah and her daughter Isabel in North Kensington. Ever since their visit to Amsterdam this fall, I had planned to visit them in London and when our mutual friend Laura announced she was coming over in February, I decided to join the girls' trip. Traveling alone with Jude is getting easier each time I do it. It helps that people in the airport are super accommodating to us- strangers helping to carry my bags, security officers bumping us to the front of lines and helping me take off my shoes (!), and immigration officials chatting Jude up and smiling the whole time! It is actually a pleasant way to fly!
There was no room for toys in my luggage as I carried on everything Jude and I would need for 3 days (minus the stroller, diapers and food, which Sarah graciously provided!). So we improvised on the flight. When I handed Jude my empty plastic wine bottle (yes, wine is mandatory when traveling solo with baby), he had a blast with it! The nice man next to us encouraged me to take a photo.
 |
Mother of the Year
|
On Monday, Sarah's nanny agreed to watch both babies so we could have a girls' day out. This was the first time I've left Jude alone for that long of a period of time during the day and also with someone who isn't family. The pics of the babies watching us leave kills me! Of course, Jude was fine and I loved the daytime "me" time.
 |
These two are so London!
|
On the mommas' day out agenda: lunch and a movie. Not any old movie. 50 Shades of Gray at the Electric theater, where leather seats and bottles of wine helped us forget how awful the movie was!
 |
| None of us had read the book and I don't think any of us knew it was a trilogy. Thank goodness for the wine! |
On Tuesday, we all went to Isabel's music class, where she was the clear star of the show. Girl loves some music! The babes had fun being in their own band at home, too.
 |
| Baby band! |
We took advantage of the gorgeous weather and took a long stroll through Notting Hill, Hyde Park and Kensington, passing sights along the way.
 |
| Found my future home! |
 |
| Kensington Palace. Prince George turned down Jude's playdate invitation. Too bad, they could have been great chums! |
Laura and I *enjoyed* a pint while watching the munchkins at a Notting Hill pub. I do not know how mothers of twins do it!
 |
| Put your money where your mouth is, kiddos! |
 |
| 'Til next time, friends! |
Jude has proven yet again to be a total travel trooper. Prior to leaving for London, we learned that Isabel had come down with a stomach bug. Not wanting to miss the trip, I decided to take our chances. Sarah was next in line while we were there and poor Jude started with it in the car on the way to the airport (a very unfortunate incident!). Sarah and Laura jumped into action, pulling over and running to a local store to buy paper towels, wipes and plastic bags to clean up the scene in the car. All I kept thinking was, "How am I going to make it through the flight on my own?!" We made it to the airport, through security and onto the plane smoothly considering it all. I moved us to an empty, back row incase there was a repeat. I dressed Jude in plastic bags as a precaution (great idea, Sarah!) and off we went. Thank goodness the flight time is only 50 minutes from London to Amsterdam! We made it off the plane, through immigration and onto the bus home. With moments left 'til our transfer stop where Pete was meeting us, Jude, who I was wearing facing out in the front carrier, tossed his cookies all over everything- himself, me, our luggage, the bus. I stepped off the bus and saw Pete approaching us and have never felt so relieved! Jude is on the mend and we are waiting to see who it will strike next. Fingers crossed it is out of all of our systems by Sunday when we leave for our vacation week in Spain!!
 |
| All suited up for the flight home! |
No comments:
Post a Comment