Tuesday, February 3, 2015

Museum Monday

Mondays are pretty quiet around these parts. Typically my playdates and baby classes don't get underway until Tuesday and I take the day to unwind from the weekend, run errands or just do laundry. After feeling rather homebound last week, I decided to venture out this Monday despite the early morning snow showers. A recent article highlighted 40 top Amsterdam experiences and after reading the article I realized I have a lot yet to explore! High on the list were the Hermitage Museum and the Rembrandt House Museum, located around the corner from one another about 50 minutes away by bus and tram. 

I have never considered myself a "museum person." I tend to choose outdoor experiences and dining when we travel. With a baby though, museums here are wonderful! They are accessible, relatively quiet if Jude happens to be snoozing, have great baby changing facilities and nice cafes stocked with high chairs. More than once, I have popped into a museum in Amsterdam just to have a place to feed or change Jude. And of course, with the elements here, having indoor activities is key. 

This is all made possible by the Museumkaart (Museum card), which costs just 55 euros for the year. With most museum entrances around 15 euros a pop, this is a steal! It grants entry into the majority of museums in Amsterdam and many throughout the Netherlands. Pete was given a card by his school when he arrived. I purchased one for myself and two for friends and family to use when the visit (hint, hint). So far I've visited a dozen of the ~400 museums. I have my work cut out for me! 

Hermitage courtyard. I was shocked to see crocuses in bloom already!
"Portrait Gallery of the Golden Age" Exhibit- Guilds of well to do men in the 16th and 17th centuries paid large sums to have their portraits painted. 

Wintertime on the IJ River
Dining with the Tsars Exhibit showcasing table settings from the Russian Royalty




Post lunchtime play in the museum cafe
A most civil museum buddy
Rembrandt House Museum- photo of his studio where he completed his masterpieces. 

No comments:

Post a Comment