The Vosges mountains were peppered with castles, chateaux, and fortresses, all inviting you to drive up into the mountains to have a look. With limited time, we chose one spot to visit on the recommendation of a friend and headed to the Mont Sainte-Odile Abbey, a current nunnery. It was a grey, foggy morning and very cool to see the fog filtering over the mountains. They say this is the driest region of France because the mountains keep the poor weather away. Most days that is! You know what else is cool? The leaves of vineyards also change color in the fall! This never occurred to me before, but all of the hillsides were a beautiful deep yellow color from the changing leaves!
It was cold and wet at the top so we zoomed around the outside, taking in the buildings and then took shelter in the cafeteria. The sky was clearing as we left, giving way to great views over the Alsace and of the autumn colors.
After checking into our AirBnB, we crossed the border into Luxembourg- a new country for all of the Durneys! One of Pete's coworkers used to live in Luxembourg city and had given us a few recommendations. We drove to Remich, a town on the Mosel river bordering Germany, also known for its wine. We hit a wine bar to try the goods and then had a lovely stroll along the river. No playground in site, but we made our own fun with a pile of leaves and a muddy puddle.
![]() |
| Remich |
![]() |
| Mosel river |
![]() |
| Germany on the other side of the river |
![]() |
| I love fall! |
We were on our way back and I was directing Pete with my phone from the back seat. I told him to turn left and was so confused when he made a sharp right into a parking lot. And then I saw what was before my eyes! Pizza Hut!!! Where was this when I was pregnant and craving it. Never mind, I was so excited just the same. Nothing like a gourmet meal in a new country :) Jude loved it, too! So now we just need to drive to Luxembourg on the reg to fulfill my cravings!

























No comments:
Post a Comment