Monday, August 7, 2017

Back Home in Maryland: Part 5

We hadn't been to my hometown of Frederick in three years, just prior to our move to Amsterdam. I was really excited to visit to see old friends, see how things had changed and to show Jude and Maeve the place where I grew up. We stayed the first night at the Quinn's and were grateful for the pool, political discussions and delicious fajita meal!


We spent the following day in downtown Frederick. I loved coming here as a kid to go first to pre-school, then church and my high school job. The downtown is so charming and really has a European feel. The Carroll Creek project that was originally designed to prevent flooding of the downtown (and Pops was on the planning committee!), has blown up in recent years. It was fun to check it out and meet aunt Rach for a yummy lunch at the Wine Kitchen.
Baker Park swings
Bell tower
Along the creek 

Beating the heat. 
Walking with Aunt Rach

The kiddos passed out hard so we escaped the heat at Brewer's Alley and walked through the gardens at Evangelical Lutheran Church where Rach and I realized we both went to pre-school together! Jude starts pre-school in a few weeks so it felt very full circle! We got some treats at the Candy Kitchen before driving to the house I grew up in. My parents have this great picture of my sister and I as toddlers in front of the Japanese Cherry Blossom that they planted in the front yard. I wanted to recreate the picture, but settled for some sweet shots on the stoop.




From Frederick we drove to Ellicott City to visit Jessica, Matt and Naomi in their beautiful new home. We arrived before they returned from work/school so the kids had free range on the impressive toy collection.


The following day, Rach came down and we spent the day together. The kids started the day trying out tricycles. Rach captured greats pics this day as usual.


Then we went to a local splash park followed by lunch at Panera (fulfilling all of our American food dreams on this trip :)).



That night, Jessica and Matt hosted a mini reunion of some high school friends. It was so great to meet Addy, Cora and Bo, who I feel like I know from stories and social media. Again, the kids played so well together and it was wonderful to catch up with old friends. Thank you to the hosts!
Caught stealing fake apples and being ridiculously cute. 
Maeve and Bo
All together in the play room dreams are made of.  
Jude, Naomi and Addy- Three 3-year old musketeers
Trying to hang with the big girls
The third place we stayed this trip that had their own bounce house!
Dress up time! 

No comments:

Post a Comment