Thursday, May 17, 2018

Idyllic Trip to the Swedish Countryside with Friends

We just came from a super relaxing get away to the Swedish countryside. We went to visit our friends and meet their newish, adorable baby, taking advantage of a 4 day weekend. Having already seen Stockholm pre-kids, we loved the idea of just relaxing and spending time together in the country. They found an awesome rental house 2 hours west of Stockholm. Jude is still talking about wanting to go back! 

Wearing Swedish blue and yellow (not planned) on our way. 

Kids bedroom heaven! A loft and swings, climbing ladder hanging from the rafters! 



Our room had two looms and the owner weaves beautiful rugs, which were all over the house. My grandma Copeland had a period in her life where she weaved and I have wonderful memories learning to weave on her loom. I have a new life goal to do this one day! 


Outdoors we had a trampoline, soccer field, sand box, hammocks and two outdoor eating areas. The house had a separate building with an indoor eating area. This place was really hooked up! We did not want to leave!










We spent our days taking day trips in the mornings to neighboring towns, then home for nap time and afternoons spent playing at the house. In the evenings we'd grill and drink and chat. So nice!

Our first day trip was to the sweet town of Nora. I would add that it was lake front, but all of the towns there seemed to be lake front as the area is riddled with small lakes. This town had a popular ice cream shop that had just opened for the season. We played for a while at the big playground and then had a nice set lunch in town with salmon (smoked and then cooked) and potatoes with dill.







Inside seating at the ice cream shop




Pete and I took a stroll through the fields behind the house one evening.

The earth cellar behind the house. 


I mean, really! This place was so idyllic! 

Second day trip to Arboga, a small town on a river.  Another fun playground and a stop in the grocery store for picnic fixings. 




Second year in a row ending vacation on Mother's days. Last year was our fun group trip to Texel! After a relaxing morning, we took off for the town of Mariefred, halfway to the airport. Would I like to spend Mother's day at a castle on a lake? Yes, I would!

Sillies at Mother's Day brunch
Mariefred was the home of Gripsholm Castle dating from the 16th century. We didn't take the time to tour it, enjoying the surroundings and playground (what else) instead.













Charming Mariefred


It was very hard to force ourselves into the car on this beautiful day. It was such a relaxing trip and I did not want to leave! It was made worse by a 2 hour delay once we got to the airport. So I count this as a lovely 1/2 a Mother's day :)

No comments:

Post a Comment