Monday, March 18, 2019

Girl's Trip with Audra to Spain!

Audra and I love our families, but boy did we have a great weekend without them! She and I had never been on a girl's trip together and I certainly hope it isn't the last! 

We chose a trip to Northern Spain. I was inspired to go to the Rioja region and also to a remarkable coastal site, Gaztelugatxeko (got to love the Basque language!) after watching Rachel's season of the Bachelorette :) Audra wanted to see the Guggenheim museum in Bilbao and the site of Dragonstone from GoT so it was settled! 

I left my house in rainy, cold Amstelveen around 1pm and we arrived at the Guggenheim museum in sunny Spain at 5:30pm! We took a spin around the museum, which was designed by Frank Gehry, admiring the architecture as much as the modern art exhibits, which are often lost on me! 


Massive metal structures that you can walk around and through.

We were really impressed by what we saw in Bilbao. The river walk was bustling with people on their evening passeos and everything was so modern and clean. So many fun playgrounds, too (the things you notice once you become a parent).


Our other Bilbao must-do was pintxos (tapas) hoping around the old town. Audra found two great little spots and we feasted for a dime!




Good morning, Bilbao! Big day ahead. We went back to the airport and rented wheels for the remainder of the weekend.


First destination, Gaztelugatxeko, an islet on the Biscay coast, connected to the mainland by a man-made bridge. 231 steps lead you to the top where there is a little church that dates from the 10th or maybe even the 9th century. It was as stunning as I'd hoped. The passing clouds kept changing the light on the islet and the color of the water. 









Lisbon was great hill training for this climb! Once at the top, we took turns ringing the church bell 5 times each for good luck. A rain shower appeared and the disappeared as quickly again.











We had taken quite the round about way down to the site, not realizing that there was more direct access via a staircase. So we headed that way back and were thrilled to see a restaurant at the top with Spanish omelettes. It was next to a beer garden and a sweet playground! I wouldn't recommend this journey with small children, but they would have had fun there! 


To be continued with a second post on our time in Rioja! 

No comments:

Post a Comment