Another beautiful, sunny day to explore the city. We took off on the historic tram 28 and rumbled our way to the Castelo de San Jorge.
 |
| Well rested, happy girl! |
 |
| Also happy, but playing cool. |
 |
| On the look out for their scavenger hunt items on the tram |
We got off the tram at the Santa Luzia look out, a place I remembered fondly from our first visit when we had some fun with 9 month old Maeve.
Much more active kids this time around!
Onward to the castle!
After the castle, I left the fam to cash in on my birthday present from Pete, a tile making class at Loja dos Descobrimentos. I learned the process from a kind older gentleman. First, I settled on a pattern and then traced it. Next, I used a pin prick stick to punch tiny holes along all of the lines. The traced image was flipped and placed carefully on top of my blank tile. Holding it firmly, I rubbed a small sack full of charcoal over the image, creating the pattern on the tile in the charcoal, which burns off in the kiln. Then I painted the tile and left it to fire, returning 2 days later to collect it. A fun souvenir from the trip!
 |
| Before firing |
Meanwhile, Pete took the rowdy kids to the playground and then we met for lunch nearby. Controlling the kids was a challenge, so when Pete struck up a conversation with the couple next to us, my focus was elsewhere. After lunch, Pete took the kids home for rest time so I could finish painting my tile. I started talking with the couple then and found out that they used to be next door neighbors with my aunt and uncle in Minnesota!
 |
| Live music means grooving time. |
 |
| Sue and Dennis |
I walked home from lunch, taking in some of the big sites of Lisbon along the way.
It was a steep climb back to our neighborhood! I was feeling glad that the kids weren't in tow, though 3 days later we did this with them (with Pete carrying them both!).
 |
| Looking back to the castle on the hill opposite. |
In the afternoon, we headed up to the Principle Real neighborhood, where we found a great playground and solved our stressful-restaurant dilemma with a pizza picnic at the park. There was a bonus sunset over the hills!
One final viewpoint to end the day, Sao Pedro de Alcantara!
 |
| Rock, paper, scissors was the game of choice on this trip. |
 |
| Some pastel de nata and Portuguese wine to end our night. |
No comments:
Post a Comment