Saturday, July 4, 2015

Touring The Vatican

The Vatican was on our Rome "must-do" list. We booked a guided tour of the Vatican Museum, Sistine Chapel and St. Peter's Basilica. I expected scenes from the Da Vinci code with dark, twisting, secret chambers. That part of the Vatican is not on tour though. Instead, the Vatican museum is an expansive art collection, each room different from the next. It was a zoo with groups being guided through. We would not have made it with Jude and the stroller if Nana and Pops hadn't been there. Following the museum, we were led into the Sistine chapel where we had 15 minutes to stare up at the frescoed ceiling (no photos allowed) sandwiched like sardines with the mobs. Every few minutes an eerie voice would boom "SILENCIO"- a very peaceful experience indeed :) From there, we were ushered into St. Peter's Basilica, whose nave is larger than most churches. I couldn't tell the vastness until I walked through. Jude was ready to get a move on after being pent up during the beginning of the tour, so my memories of the Basilica are of chasing Jude around, making sure he didn't get crushed by the crowds! Thankfully, I also took some pictures so that I can admire the beauty now!
Entrance to the Vatican museum, moving the herds. 
Dome of St. Pete's Basilica.




The map room. One of my favorites. 



Saint Peter's Basilica.

The light streaming in. God was present 






Larger than life cherub babies.
The 3 hour tour wiped Jude out!

St. Peter's Square.
St. Peter's Basilica
After the morning tour, we found another delicious eatery for lunch, followed by some down time in our neighborhood and in the apartment. Pete and I had a final night out taking in the sites of Rome by twilight!


 




No comments:

Post a Comment