I am in some serious denial that our first trip of the summer is already over. Sticking to our formula of a beach trip right when the school year ends, we booked tickets to Mallorca when they went on sale last September. Then when we learned that Jessica and Matt were spending their summer in London, we invited them along. Auntie Rach was already planning to visit us this summer so everything fell into place for a little high school reunion in Spain!
I picked a rental house based on the amenities, price and distance to a beach. I didn't care too much which beach as there were a seemingly infinite number of good ones. I had high hopes that we would see a lot of the island and duly starred my google map with restaurants in Palma, hill top towns in the mountainous Northwest and beach coves in the East. Well we saw none of that. The euro heat wave was in effect and it was so pleasant by the water and the pool and so hot everywhere else that we lost all motivation to leave our little corner of paradise! Once I adjusted my expectations that this was going to be a really chill week, it was just that and it was wonderful!
![]() |
| First glimpses of paradise! |
![]() |
| This girl loves flying. I can't imagine why. |
On our first morning, we were acquainted with the neighborhood chicken, Julia, who proved to be a great motivator to get the kids out of the house every day. Our first day was extra special because it was miss Naomi's 5th birthday! While waiting for our hosts to come and give us information for the week, the big kids couldn't resist a morning dip in the pool.
![]() |
| Hola, Julia! |
![]() |
| Finally out the door and on our way! |
It was a 7 minute walk to Playa de Muro beach, one of the longest beaches in all of the Balearic islands. While a bit narrow and plenty crowded, the water was amazing there. Perfectly clear turquoise, shallow for ages so the kids felt safe and so warm.
![]() |
| I wish that was our swan! |
Maeve was apprehensive about the water, but enjoyed going in with an adult and splashing a bit while being held. It still boggles my mind that these are the types of beaches our kids are growing up going to. Just a bit different from the waters of Ocean City and Rehobeth of my youth!
Some more swimming back at the house and dinner for the kids before Naomi's birthday celebrations. Jessica managed to bake a cake without all of the usual baking equipment!




Pete and I had arranged a date night so the other adults went to get take out. I expected them to return home with pizza, but they returned home with this! Apparently for a 50 euro deposit for the dish, you can bring your own paella home!

Pete and I went to dinner at the port in the next beach over. The end of the school year, preparations for the trip and travels were such a whirlwind that there was a lot to catch up on!




















No comments:
Post a Comment