Thursday, July 25, 2019

Overnight on a Houseboat

We had six days home in Amsterdam after England before leaving for our road trip to France. We also had the keys to a friend's houseboat in Leiden. Dilemma! YOLO. Off to Leiden we went for a night before welcoming Oma and Opa back from their Viking cruise. Our kids' former ISA music teacher and our friend, Violeta, was spending part of her summer in Williamstown so we talked to Oma and Opa and they graciously offered their house to her and her friends. In return, Violeta offered to let us stay on her houseboat, a bucket list item for me! Man do I envy her. The house is so nice and incredible peaceful to be right on the water watching the boats, ducks and swans float by. The deck backs up to a huge patch of lily pads and I wanted to stay out there all night! 

House on the right
It wasn't all play. I had scheduled work calls, which I made from my sweet home office. I did find all of the boats going by a bit distracting! 

A great neighborhood playground for the kids
Walking to dinner. Grateful we had such a lovely night to do this. Dutch summers- you just never know!


I had brought Nana and Pops to Leiden on one of their recent visits, but had forgotten about this old citadel you could climb, something we had done on our first trip to Leiden when Jude was 1 years old

Even prettier than I remembered.
A lot has changed in 4 years! 



I loved the morning stillness on the water before any boats were about.


We took the kids to the Rijksmuseum Boerhaave, a museum of science and medicine. The outdoor water play area was a highlight.




Thank you, Violeta for this great experience! 

No comments:

Post a Comment