Friday, October 6, 2023

August 2023

After returning from Austria, we had just 3 days before Pete started back (and the kids returned to staff kids care). Pete entertained the kids with playdates and a trip to the adventure playground in the Bos. 



We made some home upgrades- We switched Jude's twin bed for a double bed to give us more options when guests come to stay. We happily took a bed off the hands of a former ISA family that was moving away. 
How you move large furniture in Amsterdam (the stairwells are too narrow to bring things down them)

A DIY entrance storage solution. 

We went to Boom Chicago for the first time to see Michelle Buteau, having just finished watching her great Netflix series, Survival of the Thickest. She's married to a Dutchie and we love a good "Dutch culture" roast. 


A walk with Dakota in de Braak as the heather starts to bloom

Inaguargal sushi-making night! Pre-pandemic, Yoko taught a group of ISA moms how to make maki rolls. I knew we had sushi-making supplies in storage in Pete's parents' basement so we recovered them this summer. And yes, I am aware that we could have just bought a new rolling mat, but I'm frugal like that. There is a Japanese shop a 2-minute walk from our house and a fresh fish stand a 4-minute walk, so now sushi night complete with gyoza, seaweed salad, and miso soup is a breeze! A very happy Jude who loves gyoza and sushi (Maeve gets frozen pizza on these nights)!


A last family fun day before the school year (and all of the craziness that brings) started. A weekend day was wide open so we went to Oud Valkeveen and made some great memories. 







That night I joined Rachel and Loreen at the PrinsenGrachtConcert. I'd only ever seen it on TV and was really excited to experience such a magical concert. The ladies arrived first and sweet-talked their way past a security barricade so we had a decent view of the stage. 

"A stage for classical music, in a special place in the open air, and most importantly: accessible to everyone. That was the idea in 1981 of entrepreneurs Hans Duijf and Theo Inniger, then director of Hotel Pulitzer.

The Prinsengracht Concert was born and grew into an annual spectacle. Every year, no fewer than 10,000 visitors enjoy the beautiful sounds of the canal from their boats, window frames or on the quay. The event is now the most watched classical music program on television."




It was a beautiful night and the sky changed the most surreal colors behind the canal houses. The baritone, Roderick Williams who sang at King Charles' coronation was the main act. 




The concert always ends with a rendition of "Aan de Amsterdamse Grachten" (To the Canals of Amsterdam) and the crowd goes wild with everyone singing along. I had to look up the (translated) lyrics and couldn't agree with them more:

I have pledged my heart forever
To the ring of canals of Amsterdam
I'm convinced that Amsterdam is
Our country's most lovely town
All the people of the city
All those hundreds lights at night on the square
I can wish for nothing better
Than to live here in Amsterdam


The next day we had friends over to watch the Women's World Cup final and then Pete and Jude joined Mark and Jack sailing.


After last year's dud Dahlia season, I made some changes with expert advice from Gia. They exceeded my expectations this year and I'm already planning how to make them grow even better next season. 






And then, in a flash, another wonderful summer was over and it was back to school. We were thrilled to find out who the kids' teachers would be this year (two of our friends and excellent educators). The perks of being staff kids! We know it's going to be a great year for them. 




And with all of the good of expat life comes the bad, another "see you later" to Maeve's classmate, Sofia, and her beautiful family. I'm hoping our paths will cross again, whether in South Africa, Mexico, or the Netherlands! 

No comments:

Post a Comment