Sunday, February 4, 2024

Christmas Caroling Party

Every year growing up, our family attended a holiday caroling party, hosted by a rotation of my dad's high school friends in the DC area. Memories of those events are as enshrined in my childhood Christmas memories as Christmas Eve service at Evangelical Lutheran Church or tearing loops off of my paper Christmas chain. It was a tradition I held dear and hoped to one day recreate.

When we were offered a free piano before the summer, I told Pete that we could take it as long as we hosted a holiday Caroling Party. I think he thought I was kidding. 

My only regret for the party was not being able to invite more friends. We had 34 people this year, which felt like the amount our small home can handle, but we'll re-evaluate for next year. Because there will be a "next year," and a "year after that," until memories of this event are enshrined in the hearts and minds of all who attend.

Hosting 17 kids under the age of 10 was a bit daunting, but our kids hatched a plan to turn the top floor into a kids' club and entertain the little ones for tips. We told them we would gladly pay them if they successfully kept the kids upstairs to allow the grownups to socialize in peace. It was a huge success! The kids had cartoons, snacks, a craft station, and makeovers. 



Party ready!




Cranberry vodka spritz cocktails

With Sara and Nathan. We roped Nathan into being the main piano player. 

We socialized for an hour and a half or so and then brought all of the kids down for the carols. We had a number of budding musicians in the group and Charlotte was brave enough to start us off with Jingle Bells on the guitar! 

Jude learned Jingle Bells and Deck the Halls

Lucia and Jude did a Jingle Bells duet (sensing a theme?!)

Delighted audience


I brushed up on my piano playing skills and played a few.

I created song books so everyone could follow along

Pete with a rocking rendition of the Hanukkah song. 



I think we inspired the next crop of future musicians

And the littlies guest, too! 



We used this photo for our holiday cards this year to always remember the special event.

No comments:

Post a Comment