Thursday, February 1, 2024

Madrid with Margaret and Claire!

My cousin, Claire, spent her fall semester abroad in Barcelona and I was itching to meet up with her while she was on the continent! My aunt Margaret came over for an extended visit and I caught up with them both in Madrid over a weekend in November. We'd been having really dreary rainy weather, so I was very excited to escape to sunny Spain and to see my loved ones!

When you come down from the clouds and see the beautiful landscape of Spain! 

I rode the bus from the airport and walked from the stop outside CentroCentro where we'd return in a few days for the Monet exhibit.

On Saturday afternoon, we went for dumplings and then took a long walk through the Chueca district. A friend had recommended a place that has been selling hand-sewn espadrilles for over a century. We caught a beautiful sunset and checked out a big flower display outside the cathedral on our way back to our neighborhood near Plaza Santa Ana for dinner and the first sangria of the trip! 


All of the beautiful holiday lights were strung throughout the city, but sadly they weren't turning them on until the end of November. What a tease! 







On Sundays, the Museo Sorolla is free so we made our way there after breakfast and didn't have any wait to see the Sorolla's former private home, studio, and gardens. I had never heard of this famous Spanish artist before! I loved the colors and all of the seascapes. 






From the museum, we walked to Retiro park. The locals were out in force as it was a beautiful day and also because there was a large protest happening downtown regarding Catalonia's independence. 


Margaret and Claire indulged me while I perused a large Zara on this leafy block.



We relaxed at an outdoor cafe with some snacks and drinks before walking through the rest of the park. 



The fall colors!




Madrid's symbol is a bear eating from a Madrono tree (strawberry tree)- and we found one! 

Claire had to head back to Barcelona for classes the next day so I enjoyed a last night and day with Margaret before my flight home the next evening. 

We had a big last day, starting with the special Monet exhibit in the morning. A beautiful collection of his works!







From the museum, we took a city bus to the big shopping district and found a taqueria for lunch. Then we walked to the royal palace for our tour. No photos were allowed in most rooms, but it was quite opulent!





A final drink in the Plaza de Santa Ana before I caught the bus back to the aiport! A wonderful trip with family. 

No comments:

Post a Comment