I was really excited to visit Volterra, a hilltop town we didn't make it to on our first visit to Tuscany. My friend Tobey raved about it and said we had to see the Etruscan museum, so that was our first stop. I had no idea about the Etruscans, the people who inhabited ancient Italy before the Romans. The museum was filled primarily with intricate alabaster carvings, which covered tombs and urns. It is always mindblowing to see art that has survived millennia and to imagine people carving these images thousands of years ago.
![]() |
The walled entrance to the city. ![]() The rooftops of Volterra |
![]() |
| I love an ancient mosaic floor! |
![]() |
| The detail! |
After the museum, we walked through the city to a restaurant I'd found for lunch. The winds had picked up, but it was still a beautiful day.
![]() |
| Jude had wild boar ragu every chance he could get. Maeve stuck to her tried and true plain pasta (that's my girl!). |
![]() |
| The remains of the Roman Theater |
I would have loved more time to explore Volterra and its small streets and boutique shops, but we had to get back to the Agriturismo for a pizza-making class! Two espressos and 3 gelatos for 8 euros. The good life!
Pete is our resident pizza maker and has made a few attempts to hone his skills at home. The kids loved the pasta-making class and wanted to do another. Pete joined them to learn some new techniques to try at home. And then we all feasted on pizza (again)!




























No comments:
Post a Comment