Friday, March 13, 2020

Vacation Bliss on the Costa Del Sol

These posts are long overdue, but I've been a bit pre-occupied since Crocus break! Haven't we all...

I spent Crocus break with the kids and my parents in Marbella, Spain, at the same resort where Pete and I stayed 5 years ago with 10-month-old Jude. We were able to exchange Oma and Opa's time share again for a week at the Marriott Marbella. Thank you Oma and Opa! Wait, where was Pete you ask? He was meant to come with us, but after we booked, he was invited on a guy's trip to Northern Sweden, where he had a very different kind of vacation! I will make him blog about that sometime ;)

The resort was just as I'd remembered it, but so much else has changed in 5 years. Both kids are now old enough for the kids club (insert all the happy emojis), Jude was swimming independently and the weather was significantly warmer, which meant beach time in February (more happy emojis). It was a dream of a week and I really didn't want it to end. As news reports of the coronavirus in Italy were pouring in, I was hoping that we would be quarantined and forced to stay in Spain (with Pete flying down to meet us of course). We had to return to reality, but I will always remember this trip as the perfect end to "before"as we await what comes "after."

The journey was off to a great start, with super cooperative, sweet kids through the airport and flying into the sunset nearly the whole flight down to Spain with Prosecco in hand.


Having been to the area before, I was content to spend most of the week relaxing and enjoying the resort and the weather. So 4 glorious days were spent sleeping late (thanks Nana and Pops!), chilling, enjoying the indoor swimming pool, outdoor "hot tubs," kids club, beach and the sunsets. I could have an entire post about the sunsets (like 5 years ago), but will try my best to narrow them down :)

Buenas Dias!! 
Day 1 pool time


Afternoon Movie and Popcorn at the kids club meant reading for me on the beach!
Roar!
Dinner at a beachside restaurant and the first of many sangrias for the adults 





We interspersed our days relaxing with day trips to nearby towns: Ronda, Mijas and Marbella. Nana and Pops also spent a full day driving to Grenada to see the incredible Alhambra.

Day three was back at the resort on a sunny and warm, but very windy day. No beach as a result, but family fun activities to entertain the kids between swimming trips.






I left Nana reading with the kids while I snuck down to the beach for sunset


My antidote to coronavirus fears


On the day that Nana and Pops went to the Alhambra, the kids and I had a great day at the resort, made better by having friends around! Coincidently, a new friend from ISA was at the same resort as us over the break! We figured it out a few weeks before we left. Charlotte and Ben are one year older than Jude and Maeve and they all had fun together in the kids club and playing on the beach and around the resort. And I enjoyed having a friend to chill with!

At the beach at 10am after dropping the kids off. Early bird gets the freshly groomed sand! 

Collected the kids at 1 for lunch. 
Pool and beach all afternoon with the Bulls


Friday was our last day at the resort :( Warm enough to try the outdoor pools. One was heated, one was not!


He did jump in. And he did regret it! 


We had a perfect last night. Pizza, champagne and wine by the pool with the Bulls and watching the gorgeous sunset as the kids played on the beach. Why did we have to leave!!!







One of those sunsets that just kept getting better and better! 

No comments:

Post a Comment