Wednesday, August 13, 2014

Blind (Play)Date

Blessedly, when we announced our move to Amsterdam, many friends came forward to tell us about people that they knew who already live in Amsterdam. It was wonderful to arrive knowing that we would have a small network to start with. One of my biggest worries as a new stay-at-home momma was that I wouldn't find other mommy friends to provide some adult interaction during my days.

One friend of a friend introduced me to her co-worker who has an 8 month old son. Now, it has been a long time since I last dated, but this felt exactly like a set-up. Some e-mails were exchanged and a playdate at the downtown Bijenkorf was arranged. Having never met before, we WhatsApped photos of ourselves with our munchkins so that we could find each other in the cafe. I excitedly headed downtown to meet my new potential friend. Britt and her friend Courtney (also a new mom) were wonderful warm and welcoming. They have been in Amsterdam 2 and 3 years respectively and had good newcomer advice to offer. Plenty of time was spent discussing all things baby as well. The playdate ended with hugs and plans to meet again. I'd say it was a success!

Speaking of, if you know of anyone in Amsterdam who may like to be our friends (kids or not), please let me know! The more the merrier!


1 comment: