No way we're going to make a trip to Belgium that isn't focused on beer! Poperinge boasts the Hop Museum showing the history of the hop industry there. Poperinge is also a mere 10 minutes away from Westvleteren, the Trappist brewery that we visited our first week in Europe last summer. After the drive to Belgium, we set out to savor one of the world's top-rated beers for a second time. It was raining so the outdoor garden we enjoyed in August was out. We managed to find a table and crowded in with the locals.
![]() |
| Yarr, that's good Abbey cheese! |
We all loved the local beer to Poperinge, Hommel Beer. We brought lots of that back to Amsterdam to enjoy in the coming months.
Pete is intensely reading a beer book called Farmhouse Ales and read about a brewery just over the French border, La Brasserie de Saint-Sylvestre. Jude helped pick out a few bottles of the French brew.
![]() |
| Hop medallions line the town streets |
On our last day in Belgium, we hit up the hop museum. I'm probably not as into beer as I should be given Pete's enthusiasm for it, but even I thought this museum was awesome! It is in the original hop house where pickers from the field would bring their bags to be weighed, the hoops would be dried and packaged for distribution. I could totally get into the hop growing business!
![]() |
| Jude "digs" hops |















No comments:
Post a Comment