When we travel, I enjoy seeing and photographing the landscape and countryside as much as I do visiting the towns and cities. It helps me remember the overall feeling I had of a place when I look back at photos. The patchwork colors of the fields surrounding Poperinge were just gorgeous! We took a drive to France and headed to Mont des Cats, an important hilltop Abbey that also makes their own cheese and beer. Emily had read that the cheese was famous so we bought a small wheel. It is really good, especially given how stinky it is! I was scolded by Pete this morning for not double bagging it in the fridge last night!
 |
| Mont des Cats |
 |
| Hiking trail up to the Abbey |
On our way home Saturday, we stopped in the neighboring city of Ypres (in French) or Ieper (in Dutch). Your guess on how to say that is as good as ours! Apparently the English speaking troops of WWI referred to the town as Wipers as it was too difficult to pronounce! We stopped just long enough to admire the grand square and cathedral.
How appropriate for you to visit these areas just before the U.S.'s Memorial Day weekend. And happy summer to you!
ReplyDelete