Thursday, September 1, 2022

1/2 Birthday Boating Celebration

After my parents left, we had just under 2 weeks at home before leaving on our next big road trip. The kids were entertained with some days at the ISA Vacation care program, playdates, and Monkey Moves camp. The warm summer weather continued! 

The highlights of that time were a belated celebration of my birthday and a day trip to Henschotermeer. 

The last birthday party I had was in 2020. The Netherlands was under lockdown in 2021 and in 2022, I contracted COVID (and group sizes were still limited anyway). Sloepdelen, the rent your own boat company we like to use in the city was offering a summer special for 4 hours of boating. I snagged a voucher and decided to use it to invite a bunch of girlfriends to celebrate my 1/2 birthday. I'd like to stay optimistic that I'll be able to celebrate the BIG birthday this January, but I'm also thinking realistically that COVID may get in the way again. 

We had a beautiful Friday evening with an excellent skipper (Pete). 4 hours passed far too quickly! Sailing the canals is easily my favorite thing to do in Amsterdam. 



I miss our Sunday boat rides with the Welters so much. We recreated the tradition with a stop at Pizzabaakers where Pete gracefully brought the pizzas on board. 



I'd always wanted to go to Hannekes Boom, a hip waterfront bar near central station. You can moor to their docks. It was so crowded, we didn't get out of the boat except to use the bathrooms! We took in the vibes there for a while and enjoyed the cupcakes Bobbie had made for the occasion. 





Vanilla cupcakes with salted pistachio icing- sooo yummy! This was the before photo. It was my job to hold the boxes in the bakfiets on our bike ride into the city. I understood holding on to them, I didn't understand that I was meant to act like their hydraulics system on the bumps. The after photo was not so pretty, but they were so delicious, no one cared! 



Our final stop was at Jenny's house for a much needed bathroom break and then quickly cruising back before closing time. 

Carina, Rachel, LeonĂ©, Jenny, Katie, Bobbie, Hannah and Dakota 

Thank you, Pete for facilitating such a fun evening! 

Perhaps a new tradition is born?? 

No comments:

Post a Comment